On Episode 76 of The Tennis Files Podcast, I spoke with Brad Stine about how he coached Kevin Anderson, Jim Courier, and many other players to top ATP world rankings. Brad's philosophies, systems, and strategies have enable him to consistently propel whoever he coaches, from high level juniors, college players and tour pros, to top rankings and grand slam titles. It was fascinating to hear Brad's tennis journey and how both he and his players have risen to the upper echelon of the game.
Brad is a world-class tennis coach from Fresno, California who has coached numerous top ATP pros in his career, most notably former world #1 Jim Courier. He currently coaches ATP world #6 Kevin Anderson, and has also previously coached Andrei Medvedev, Jonathan Stark, Mardy Fish, Taylor Dent, Sebastien Grojean, Sargis Sargisian, and Byron Black.
Brad played and coached at Fresno State, and led the program to a top 20 DI ranking as a coach. He was also a US National Coach for the USTA and coached the US junior national team, which was loaded with top talent: Jim Courier, Pete Sampras, MaliVai Washington, Todd Martin, Jonathan Stark, Jared Palmer, David Wheaton and Jeff Tarango
On this episode, we talk about how Brad became a top level coach and his journey from coaching at the USTA, to college tennis, and eventually to coaching some of the best ATP pros of all time.
I really hope you enjoy my interview with Brad! Let us know what you think about this episode in the comments below!
- Brad’s favorite place in the world to go snowboarding
- Brad's first memory of hitting a tennis ball
- How Brad got his start in coaching
- Brad’s experience coaching the US Junior National Team, which was loaded with top talent: Jim Courier, Pete Sampras, MaliVai Washington, Todd Martin, Jonathan Stark, Jared Palmer, David Wheaton and Jeff Tarango
- The most important skills Brad focused on developing in the US Junior National Team
- Coaching D1 college tennis at Fresno State
- The most important changes Brad made to the Fresno State tennis team that caused the program to eventually get a top 20 DI ranking, and why an atmosphere of respect is so important
- Differences between coaching in college and the pro tour
- Going from coaching college tennis to Jim Courier and how they ended up working together
- Jim’s personality and the approach Brad took to maximize Jim’s abilities
- Jim’s unorthodox backhand and how the coaching team maximized his game
- The importance of the backhand slice to Jim’s success
- The traits and habits that most contributed to Jim Courier’s rise to the top of the game
- How Brad and Kevin Anderson started their coaching partnership
- The importance of self-containment and conserving energy and how this has improved Kevin’s results
- How we can strike a balance between getting pumped up and positive versus conserving energy
- An example of having a stronger physical presence on the court
- Kevin’s most important traits that make him a top 10 player
- Kevin’s increased focus on his fitness training and getting stronger
- What’s next for Brad and Kevin
- 3 books Brad would gift to a friend to help them play better tennis
Subscribe to automatically download new episodes!
Click the icon above, click the blue "View in iTunes" button, then hit "Subscribe."
Or hit the subscribe button in your favorite podcast app!
Links Mentioned in the Show
The Tao of Pooh - Benjamin Hoff
Tennis Summit Links
My Youtube Channel!
Tennis Files Youtube Channel - Subscribe! You know you want to 😉
For more tips on how to improve your game, subscribe to my newsletter and download a free copy of my eBook, The Building Blocks of Tennis Success below! Thanks for listening!
The Building Blocks of Tennis Success eBook
Subscribe to get my free eBook and learn about goal setting, training smart, proper technique, mental fortitude, the importance of competition, health and fitness, and more!