Treat Huey, ranked #30 in the world on the ATP doubles tour, is my guest on today’s episode of The Tennis Files Podcast. At the 2016 Australian Open, Treat reached the quarterfinals of the men’s doubles with Max Mirnyi and the semifinals of the mixed doubles with Andreja Klepac. He also reached the men’s doubles quarterfinals of the 2013 US Open and the 2014 Australian Open.
Treat is a friend of mine who I met while playing junior tournaments in the Mid-Atlantic section. He is a talented athlete with a wicked lefty-serve and amazing volleys. Treat’s passion for tennis and mental fortitude has made him one of the most versatile doubles players in the game today. He has played numerous Davis Cup matches for the Philippines. Treat was also ranked #4 in college in singles, behind John Isner, University of Virginia teammate Somdev Devvaarman, and Kevin Anderson.
I truly admire Treat’s professionalism, his competitive drive, and his impressive rise to the elite levels of the game. Treat tells us how his love for the game and belief in his abilities helps him be one of the best doubles players in the world.
In this interview, you will learn:
- How Treat’s passion for tennis drives him to be the best player he can be
- What it is like to play the biggest tournaments and best players in the world
- Why Treat’s serve is so effective
- Why Treat decided to specialize in doubles
- How college tennis at UVA helped him understand how to play points smarter
- A normal day of training on the ATP Tour
- How to develop great anticipation at net
- What it feels like to volley Nadal’s forehand
- Treat’s experiences representing the Philippines in Davis Cup
- How to adjust playing with different doubles partners
Subscribe to automatically download new episodes[button link=”http://tennisfiles.com/itunes”]Subscribe on iTunes[/button] – Click the blue “View in iTunes” button then hit “Subscribe”
Or hit the subscribe button in your favorite podcast app!
Links Mentioned in This Episode
The Building Blocks of Tennis Success eBook
Subscribe to get my free eBook and learn about goal setting, training smart, proper technique, mental fortitude, the importance of competition, health and fitness, and more!