On today’s episode, I had the pleasure of speaking with Preston Lemon, a Territory Sales Manager for Wilson Sporting Goods Co. in the Mid-Atlantic Region. Preston, a former college tennis player at Virginia Tech, joined me on the podcast to give you some fantastic tips on how to choose the best tennis racquet for your game.
Afterwards, we examined 6 of Wilson’s newest racquets on the market: the Blade 18×20 Countervail, Blade 16×19 Countervail, Blade 98S (Spin) Countervail, Pro Staff 97, Pro Staff RF 97 Autograph, and the Ultra 100.
Preston and I spoke about each racquet’s specs and then discussed our experiences playing with them. Preston was kind enough to send me the six racquets above to playtest, and I have really enjoyed hitting with Wilson’s latest sticks.
I really appreciate Preston coming onto the show, and for sending me the latest Wilson racquets and strings to playtest. Preston has been a pleasure to work with, and I can only hope that the majority of racquet reps are as good as he is at what he does!
Tune in to Episode 38 of The Tennis Files Podcast to enhance your knowledge about racquets and find out which one of them is our hands down favorite! This episode will help you learn how to choose the best racquet for your game, and whether one of Wilson’s racquets may be right for you.
Here’s a short video of me hitting with the 18×20 Blade:
Time-Stamped Show Notes
- [2:49] How Preston became a Sales Manager for Wilson
- [4:49] What Preston loves the most about being a Wilson Rep
- [5:59] Three things most of the world doesn’t know about Preston
- [8:03] How should players approach choosing the right racquet for their game?
- [9:53] Ideal racquets based on your style of play (baseliners, serve-and-volleyers, etc.)
- [12:16] What does flex mean in a tennis racquet?
- [14:07] The impact of weight in a tennis racquet
- [14:38] Should beginners use a bigger head size?
- [16:00] Heady-heavy vs head light racquets
- [17:53] How much do strings affect the playability of a racquet?
- [19:50] Blade 18×20 Countervail review
- [24:02] How does the new Blade compare with the older version?
- [24:37] Countervail technology in the new Blade racquets
- [26:21] Blade 16×19 Countervail review
- [29:10] Blade 98S (Spin) Countervail review
- [32:49] Pro Staff 97 review
- [38:25] Pro Staff RF 97 Autograph review
- [42:58] Ultra 100 review
- [46:44] Other racquets in Wilson’s lineup
- [48:24] A funny story about receiving the racquets
- [49:13] Wilson’s relationship with Luxilon
- [49:55] Luxilon 4g string 125mm review
- [53:56] Wilson Revolve 16g string review
- [55:49] Resources to enhance your knowledge about racquets and strings
- [57:20] One key tip to help you improve your tennis game
- [58:43] Where can we follow Wilson’s products
Subscribe to automatically download new episodes!
Click this icon, click the blue “View in iTunes” button, then hit “Subscribe.”
Or hit the subscribe button in your favorite podcast app!
Links Mentioned in the Show
Note: Several of the links above are affiliate links, so if you make a purchase after clicking, I make a small commission. Thanks either way!
If you enjoyed my interview about racquets with Preston, subscribe to The Tennis Files Podcast in iTunes or your favorite podcast app!
For more tips on how to improve your game, download a free copy of my eBook, The Building Blocks of Tennis Success eBook below! Thanks for listening!
The Building Blocks of Tennis Success eBook
Subscribe to get my free eBook and learn about goal setting, training smart, proper technique, mental fortitude, the importance of competition, health and fitness, and more!